Post Content Hide
- What is a GSD Muzzle?
- Different Types of GSD Muzzle
- What to look for in a GSD Muzzle
- Best German Shepherd Muzzle Reviews 2021
- Tips on teaching your GSD to wear a muzzle
German Shepherds are considered as one of the most protective dog breeds in the world. They are alert and make excellent guard dogs. Being a responsible and proactive GSD owner, you have decided to muzzle up your GSD. But you still have so many questions about the what’s, how’s, and when’s of GSD muzzles. You are on the right track. This article will guide you and answer your questions.
What is a GSD Muzzle?
A GSD muzzle is a tool usually placed over a GSD snout to prevent it from unwanted biting, sudden nipping or chewing garbages. They usually look like a football helmet, minus the hard hat. We can consider muzzles as protective gear for your GSDs to prevent people from unwanted touching, stroking and provocations.
Different Types of GSD Muzzle
There are many different types of GSD muzzles according to their material, style, GSD’s temper, and owner’s preference.
Soft muzzles are made of soft materials such as nylon and mesh. It is designed to be wrapped around or slipped on the GSD’s snout. Just like any other muzzle, it shouldn’t be worn for long periods of time, especially in hot weather.
This type of muzzle for GSDs is designed to completely close their mouths. It is also known as a barkless dog muzzle. Due to the fact that it might be very uncomfortable, this should be used only for a very short period of time. There are instances when a GSD may require wearing occlusion muzzles such as a history of biting when being groomed and visits to the vet.
German Shepherds training to become police or military dogs are fitted with agitation muzzles. The main purpose of this particular muzzle is to encourage aggressiveness as part of the training. It can be worn for long periods and is designed to allow GSDs to breathe, pant, eat, bark, drink and even bite.
This is a muzzle that can be worn for long periods of time without having to worry so much. It looks like a basket with spaces wide enough for jaw and mouth movements while, tight enough to discourage biting.
What to look for in a GSD Muzzle
In order for a GSD muzzle to be effective and safe, there are things that GSD owners should take note of before buying one.
- Proper Fit – Since GSDs have long snouts and strong jaws, owners should consider buying a muzzle that can properly fit their GSDs. Owners should note that a perfectly-fitted muzzle is more comfortable for GSDs and makes their experience more pleasant.
- Breathability – A good muzzle should not restrain GSDs from breathing and even panting. The more breathable a muzzle is, the safer it is.
- Purpose – Other than temporarily restraining GSDs from possible bite incidents, muzzles also have other purposes. So, identifying what the owner and the GSD needs will be helpful in choosing the best GSD muzzle.
- Materials – It is not uncommon for some GSDs to develop skin allergies to certain materials like synthetic leather, etc. Owners might want to choose a muzzle sturdy enough, yet gentle enough for their GSDs’ skin.
Best German Shepherd Muzzle Reviews 2021
Finding the perfect muzzle for GSDs might be overwhelming for some GSD owners like you. To help you choose the best for their GSDs, here are our recommendations.
CollarDirect Dog Muzzle German Shepherd – Best Basket Muzzle for German Shepherd
- A handmade Dog Muzzle. Intended for German Shepherd, Dalmatian, Doberman, Setter and other breeds...
- Please measure circumference and length of your dog's snout. A - is circumference of dog's snout. B...
- Size M A is 11". B is 4".
- Size L A is 13". B is 4".
- If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
CollarDirect is a basket-type leather muzzle made by hand making this product comfortable enough to be a dog itchy muzzle.
It has two adjustable straps, one between the eyes and one that goes around the neck, behind the ears. These adjustable straps allow this muzzle to be securely fitted to the GSD’s snout without the hassle of constant readjustment.
Plus, it’s designed to let GSDs pant, breath and even have a nibble and drink.
- To avoid GSDs escaping from their muzzles, owners should be able to measure their GSDS’ snout properly.
- SOFT & LIGHTWEIGHT rubber basket design gives all-around mouth protection allowing canines...
- SAFE & SECURE ergonomically designed safety strapping ensures muzzle will remain securely in place...
- ADJUSTABLE & COMFORTABLE Neoprene padded lining for added comfort and fully adjustable neck and head...
- DOG FRIENDLY – allows canines to drink, pant and be rewarded and treated. Perfect for daily dog...
- EXTREMELY TOUGH AND DURABLE made of a malleable thermal plastic rubber which can be heated and...
Energetic GSDs who are caught in a very stressful situation will most probably feel threatened and will need a muzzle that can restrain them from biting and nipping. Baskerville Ultra Muzzle is created for GSDs who are very active. It is one of the best dog muzzles that allow drinking and panting. It is created for GSDs to still eat normally.
Having two security attachments will stop GSDs from removing this muzzle. The first set is to be attached to the GSD’s collar while the other set is a removable overhead safety strap. Made with soft neoprene that’s soft yet durable, it also comes in many sizes to fit GSDs.
- This muzzle encourages positive reinforcement which means it has a wide webbing that makes it possible for trainers or owners to give treats to their GSDs.
- Humane way to prevent biting and unwanted chewing – This muzzle is great for restraining your...
- Right size for the right dog – Choosing the correct size online can be hard, so to make it easy...
- Bonus collar and connection strap holds muzzle in place – GoodBoy’s Stay-Fit connection makes it...
- Comfortable neoprene padding eliminates chafing – GoodBoy believes a muzzle should never be...
- Quality sliders for a perfect fit – No cheap plastic buckles for adjusting the fit here! The...
Is there a comfortable dog muzzle that can prevent their barking, unwanted biting and chewing but still allows them to breathe, pant and drink?
Gentle Muzzle Guard Dogs is a soft muzzle for German Shepherd that answers to all these. It is a humanely-designed occlusion muzzle with neoprene padding for comfortable wear.
Their easy snap-on adjustable security buckles and adjustable velcro makes it easy for owners to fit this muzzle to their GSDs And it securely fits the GSD’s snout and neck with its adjustable straps that go from the snout over the head and around the neck behind the ears.
It is equipped with a stay-fit connection that allows owners to connect this muzzle to any dog collar with just a snap. This comes with an extra collar for added protection.
- This muzzle comes with a size guide and fitting instructions. Though it is comfy for GSDs, owner/trainer supervision is still advised as with all other muzzles.
- Size L. Girth of dog's snout is 14 inches, length of dog's snout is 4 1/4 inches.
- German Shepherd Dog Muzzle is made out of durable light-weight steel and has a soft padding. Genuine...
- 4 Adjusting straps for comfort fitting dog muzzle. Wire basket.
- No breathing discomfort in the heat. Dog muzzle for large dogs has excellent ventilation....
Big dogs like German Shepherds should have big muzzles to fit them. BronzeDog Wire Basket Dog Muzzle is the perfect German Shepherd muzzle since it is created for dogs with long snouts and strong jaws like the GSDs. This metal wire basket muzzle is wide enough for breathing and panting
What makes this muzzle exceptional is that it is a leather muzzle for German Shepherd. Its straps are made of genuine leather with soft padding for added comfort. Its wire basket is made of rust-proof metal that can last for many years with proper care.
- This muzzle is made for big dogs so it is best to measure GSD’s snout and neck before choosing the size that properly fits the GSD.
How to measure GSD’s snout for muzzle-wearing
Getting the correct muzzle size for German Shepherd before even purchasing a muzzle is very important. This can make or break the introduction of GSDs wearing muzzles.
- Measure the length between the eye and the tip of the nose.
- Measure GSD’s mouth while it’s slightly open for panting by using a tape measure going around the mouth.
- Get the measurement of the distance from the eyes up to the back of the ears.
- Measure the neck starting from the back of the ears
- Measure the widest part of the snout and the longest part of the snout.
Tips on teaching your GSD to wear a muzzle
Muzzle-wearing should be a pleasant experience for your GSD. Here are tips on how to make your GSD feel good about wearing muzzles.
- You need to show your GSD that muzzles are nice to wear.
- As you show the muzzle to your GSD, feed him some treats in the muzzles without forcing him to put his nose in it.
- Gently try putting on the muzzle to your GSD by repeatedly giving treats through the muzzle.
- Play with the buckles and straps as if trying to snap it on your GSD.
- If your GSD doesn’t respond negatively to the snapping sound, then gently buckle him for a minute or two.
- Continue giving treats to your GSD to make him feel occupied until he gets used to the muzzle.
- Leave the muzzle on longer but with supervision.
- Make sure to associate muzzle-wearing with happy thoughts and not only scary moments to avoid stressing the GSD more.
Responsible owners are people who make sure that they muzzle up their GSDs to prevent untoward incidents from happening. Muzzles are not training tools so they should not be worn longer than recommended by vets. If your GSD’s behavior is more than what a muzzle can control, then you should have your GSD’s behavior evaluated and try to identify why he is behaving aggressively.
Lastly, if you are someone who loves dogs, please don’t touch or stroke them without the owners’ permission. These GSDs might be undergoing a stressful situation and their owners are probably twice stressful than their fur babies.
The products featured on this page were last updated on 2021-07-22 /. Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API.