Post Content Hide
Choosing a name for your German Shepherd is like choosing a name for your baby. It’s difficult to choose even though there are many possible names. To help you decide, we chose 100 popular names for your GSD based on his or her age, gender, color, and personality. We also added the meaning behind these names for your reference. Here are some tips that will help you in choosing the best name for your GSD.
Tips in Choosing a Name for your German Shepherd
- Choose a short name because shorter names are easier to recall.
- As much as possible choose unique names to avoid offending someone who has the same name as your GSD.
- Choose a name you can confidently say out loud when you’re outdoors with your GSD.
- Give a name that has a different sound to the command words and the names of your family members to avoid confusion.
- If you adopted or rescued a GSD who was abused, choose a name that doesn’t sound like his or her previous name so that he or she won’t associate negative things with you.
German Shepherd Puppy names
When we think of German Shepherd puppies, we think of cute names. Here are some names for your adorable German Shepherd puppy.
German Shepherd Girl names
- Abby or Trixie- happy
- Ava- cute
- Blossom- to bloom
- Dolly-loves to play
- Fuzzy- silky and soft
- Maggie- playful
- Roxy- fun loving
German Shepherd Boy names
- Aiyden- little fire
- Boxer- strong puppy
- Chase- likes to run a lot
- Chewy or Chomper- likes to chew or chomp
- Cordell- small rope
- Growler- barks loudly
- Keller- little champion
- Loman- small bare one
Good Female German Shepherd names
Female German Shepherds are beautiful so it’s a good idea to give them a name that means ‘beautiful’.
Male German Shepherd Names
Names that mean ‘strong or brave’ best-fit male German Shepherds because they are strong and brave. You may choose the names of strong superheroes for your GSD like Hulk or Thor.
- Hulk or Thor
White German Shepherd Names
White German Shepherds’ coat is as white as snow so it’s cool to give them names associated with ‘white or light’.
Male German Shepherd Names that mean ‘light’
Female German Shepherd Names that mean ‘white’
Black German Shepherd Names
Black German Shepherds are rare so unique names that mean ‘black or dark’ match them.
Male Black German Shepherd Names
Female Black German Shepherd Names
Military German Shepherd Names
Military German Shepherds deserve badass names because they’re highly trained to do extraordinary things that house pets don’t normally do. Most of the names are for male German Shepherd police dogs except Nayla, Vala, and Valda or Walda.
- Birget- protecting
- Brantley- sword, fiery torch
- Burgh- protection
- Burke- fortification
- Donner- thunder
- Grady- noble
- Hunter- one who hunts
- Kant- brilliant or beloved
- Luther or Lothar- army person
- Nayla- a winner
- Nolan – noble, renowned
- Orion- giant huntsman
- Scout- one who gathers information covertly
- Vala- chosen
- Valda or Walda- ruler/governor
- Viking- perfect for warriors
- Werner- protecting an army
- Wilmet or Helmar- protector
- Zale- the power of the sea
- Zeus- ruler of the Olympian gods
After choosing a name for your GSD, you have to teach him or her the name you chose. Below are some tips to help you successfully teach your GSD.
Tips in Using Your German Shepherd’s Name
- During the initial days of teaching your GSD’s name, always give your GSD a treat immediately after saying his name to let him recognize it’s his name.
- Use your GSD’s name when you’re doing positive things like when you’re playing together and when you reward or praise him or her.
- Don’t use his or her name when you reprimand or scold your GSD.
- Use their formal name for commands and their nickname for suggestions.
- Teach your GSD that the louder you voice out his or her name, the more urgent he or she has to follow your command.
We hope this list full of unique, clever, and majestic names helped you decide on naming your German Shepherd whether your GSD is a puppy, female, male, black, white, or working in the military. Have fun naming your GSDs!