Post Content Hide
- Best German Shepherd Collars
- How to Measure German Shepherd Neck Size
- Tips on how to choose the best collar for German Shepherds
- Review on The Best Collar for German Shepherds 2021
- Patpet Dog Shock Collar with Remote – Best Shock Collar For German Shepherd
- Bark Collar Newest Upgrade Version No Bark Collar Rechargeable – Best No Bark Collar for German Shepherd
- Educator E-Collar Remote Dog Training Collar – Best E-Collar for German Shepherd
- Country Brook Petz Martingale Heavy Duty Nylon Dog Collar – Best Martingale Collar for German Shepherd – Best Collar For German Shepherd Puppy
- OSPet Dog Prong Collar – Professional Dog Pinch Training Collar
German Shepherds are physically strong, muscular and agile. So, the struggle is real for GSD owners whose GSDs pull, tug, chase, and bark at other dogs. A simple walk in the park might become a disaster if they are untrained and are not used to socialization. This is where a collar comes in. A German Shepherd collar is a training tool that can help you guide your GSD without causing harm or danger.
GSDs are quick-witted and have good memory retention. So, the logic of using GSD collars is for them to identify pulling, excessive barking, aggressiveness or any unpleasant behavior with stimulations from the collar.
Best German Shepherd Collars
Types of GSD Collars
German Shepherds have an exceptional head shape that makes it easier for them to slide off collars. But not all GSDs can use the same type of collar. You have to consider purchasing a good collar that can comfortably fit your GSD, firm enough not to come off and soft enough to protect your GSD’s neck and head. GSD collars may have other purposes than behavior training. That’s why it is wise to choose a collar that will be suitable for you and your fur companion’s needs.
People who have GSDs that tend to move away or wiggle out of their collars choose Martingale Collars for more control and grip. Martingale collars are similar to flat collars but can provide more control with the use of its two loops. The big loop serves as an adjustable collar while the small loop serves as the controller. Since they are interconnected as soon as the GSD starts pulling, the small loop will tighten, making the big loop follow through and stops the GSD from pulling further. It is gentler than a prong collar.
A Pinch Collar or Prong Collar is a dog collar mostly used on GSDs for training behavior correction and communication. It has prongs that work by putting pressure on the neck area as the GSD starts pulling. But this is not to be worn 24/7. Proper usage should be observed to avoid injuring your GSD.
A Shock Collar is a type of training tool for deterring unpleasant behaviors of GSDs. It produces an electric shock of different intensities through the use of remote control. Owners can adjust the level of enforcement. Some Shock Collars are equipped with a beep sound that warns. This tool used to be a training tool for hunting dogs in the ’60s but has evolved into a behavior training tool for some animals. Listed below are some of the different kinds of Shock Control Collar according to their purpose.
E-Collars are modern shock collars that utilize the latest technology in training GSDs. It uses electric stimulation through vibrations and usually has a speaker that allows you to warn your GSD of its behavior through a walkie-talkie. Modern E-collars have many stimulation levels for adjustment, depending on the owner’s preference and the GSD’s behavior.
No Bark Collar
No Bark Collars are used to train GSDs to stop unnecessary barking. No Bark Collars are equipped with a system that will produce an unpleasant smell, high-pitched sounds or electric waves that cause pinch-like sensations triggered by unwanted noise or barking.
GSDs have different temperaments or moods just like humans do. And it is inevitable for some people to pet GSDs. GSD owners can now alert people of their GSD’s behavior by using a Color Collar. Different colors have different meanings like bright green for friendly, blue for GSDs on training, bright red for aggressive, etc. Nevertheless, some owners prefer to purchase patches that state their GSD’s current emotional state or character and stick or sew them on their GSD’s current collar.
German Shepherd Military Collar or Tactical collars are used to identify working or service GSDs. It has durable materials that will not wear and tear easily as these GSDs undergo difficult and intense training.
Choke Collars are pretty much like Pinch Collars minus the prongs. As the GSD starts pulling, it puts pressure directly to the GSD’s neck, tightening the collar as if choking, and the slip will loose as the GSD stops pulling.
Flat Collars are the most commonly used collars. It is suitable for everyday walking and training. Since it has a wide variety of materials and designs, flat collars are considered as cool collars for German Shepherds. GSD ID, tags, owner’s phone number can also be embroidered on the collar for easy identification.
How to Measure German Shepherd Neck Size
Finding the correct collar size for German Shepherd is critical when buying a collar. A collar that’s too tight might hurt your GSD, whereas, a collar that’s too loose will slip off. A GSD’s average neck size is 18”- 24”, though this might not be applicable to all GSDs. Given the fact that most collars in the market have size guides according to German Shepherd neck size by age and weight, it should be easy to choose the one that fits your GSD comfortably. If you can’t be sure what size collar for German Shepherd you should select, then it’s time to use a tape measure and find out your GSD’s collar size.
- The first thing to consider is to measure the neck. Make sure to measure the thickest part of your GSD’s neck to get the exact German Shepherd collar size.
- As a rule, when measuring the neck area, you should be able to slip three fingers between the neck and the tape measure for large GSDs, two fingers for medium GSDs. Slipping one finger is enough to get German Shepherd puppy neck size measurement.
- Second point is to measure your GSD’s head size. This is to make sure that the collar will not slip off easily.
- Measure the widest area of your GSD’s head, starting from the top of the head, over the ears, going to the top of the throat, back to the top of the head.
Tips on how to choose the best collar for German Shepherds
The market is flooded with a lot of GSD collars that you can choose from. As a training tool for young and adult GSDs, it is of paramount importance to know how to choose one that suits you and your GSD best. Considering how strong and active GSDs are, it is important to choose a collar made from sturdy materials and yet gentle to the skin.
- At present, nylon is the most commonly used material for GSD collars. Ideal for daily use, it is durable, affordable and water-resistant. Moreover, it comes in different patterns and colors.
- Leather is favored by some GSD owners who don’t mind paying more. Quality genuine leather is softer on GSD’s skin and can last long but more expensive. Keep in mind that cheap synthetic leathers might trigger skin allergies on your GSD.
- Metal collars are used by professional trainers to correct behavior issues in GSDs. It is tough enough for strong dogs but more expensive.
- A good GSD collar should be easy to adjust.
- It should be user-friendly to let owners enjoy a stress-free operation.
- Having a product warranty would be great.
Review on The Best Collar for German Shepherds 2021
As you are getting ready to get your GSD its own neck collar, let us present to you our reviews on some of the best collars for GSDs in 2020.
Patpet Dog Shock Collar with Remote – Best Shock Collar For German Shepherd
- 3 Training Modes
- Waterproof Receiver
- Rechargeable Battery
- Remote Control
- Nylon Belt
They say that using shock collars is an inhumane way of training GSDs, but unlike other shock collars, Patpet Dog Shock Collar has features that ensure safety, efficiency, and ease of operation.
- Two conductive silicone prongs serve as skin protection
- Excellent safety protection mode that ensures a vibration or electric shock will not exceed for more than 10 seconds, avoiding unintended command control.
- 16 levels of Static Shock, 8 levels of Vibration simulations and a Tone mode to correct bad behavior
- Powerful wireless range that can smoothly reach up to 1,000 ft. with strong contact signals.
- Ergonomically designed with easy operation buttons
- Adjustable metal and silicone contact points for a better fit
- Dual channels that can concurrently be used to train 2 GSDs
- Nylon collar that can be adjusted from 0” to 24”
- Extra-long battery life
- 2-year warranty
- Silicone prong should be pushed real hard so it won’t come off from the metal prong.
Bark Collar Newest Upgrade Version No Bark Collar Rechargeable – Best No Bark Collar for German Shepherd
- Bark collar with 3 training mode
- Bark collar with 5 sensitivity setting can detect all size dog barking,choose the appropriate...
- Dog training collar no more false triggering,dog bark collar equiped smart sensor and chip,will...
- Bark collar for dogs rechargeable with large capacity battery,full charged for 15 days regular...
- Dog bark collar with protection mode,training dogs should be step by step,this bark collar will...
Does your GSD’s current no bark collar always trigger when nearby dogs are barking and leaves you with no choice but to turn the collar off? We highly recommend the Bark Collar Newest Upgrade Version No Bark Collar. It has an intelligent triggering sensor that will detect sounds and filter out nearby noises so you don’t need to worry about false triggering. Here are its safety features that will assure you of easy and quick training.
- A humane shock mode protection in its system will not set off the trigger the first time your GSD barks. If your GSD barks again in less than 30 seconds after the first bark, shock mode will trigger. This will happen every time your GSD will bark continually within the 30-second time frame. But if your GSD will bark after more than 30 seconds, then the system will treat it as the first bark. If shock has been triggered 7 times within 1 minute, it will automatically deactivate and will function again after 2 minutes.
- Barking GSDs will be less of a problem due to its 5 levels of sensitivity adjustments and 2 training modes that allow you to choose between beep+vibrate or beep+vibrate+harmless static shock.
- 480 mAh USB rechargeable batteries that work up to 12 days with regular use
- IP67 rated, so you can use it rain or shine, indoors, or outdoors
- The newest QUALCOMM microprocessor in this collar allows its features to function smoothly.
- They offer a one-year warranty to assure you of its quality.
- Need to use level 5 on muscular dogs with thick hair
Educator E-Collar Remote Dog Training Collar – Best E-Collar for German Shepherd
- One dog system with 1/2 mile range
- Small receiver (2" x 1.5", 2.4 oz.) for dogs 5 pounds and larger
- Mini ergonomic "stopwatch" transmitter (2.64" diameter x 1.29" thick) is well-suited for small hands...
- Delivers a tapping sensation similar to vibration, but more intense, making it an effective addition...
- User-selectable stimulation levels from 1 to 100 with additional boost stimulus selectable from 1 to...
As caring GSD owners, we want an E-Collar that will gently remind our beloved pets. Educator E-Collar Remote Dog Training Collar does this job better. This is a very versatile E-Collar due to its 100 stimulation levels and 60 additional boost levels that you can use on GSD puppies and adults alike. With its lock and set features, you can easily set the best stimulation level for your GSD and lock it, in case you forget the setting. You can be assured that these stimulations feel just like a tapping but only a bit more intense that will not traumatize your GSD.
It is loaded with features like:
- A Pavlovian tone that your GSD can quickly associate with stimulations and supports easy training
- User-friendly remote control (transmitter) that’s small and ergonomic which you can discreetly use even in public
- The collar has a tracking light that’s controlled by the transmitter for easy location in case your GSD gets lost.
- With 30” long, ¾” wide BioThane collar straps that are durable and washable.
- Its Lithium Polymer rechargeable batteries with a dual charger can be fully charged in two hours that will last you a day of training.
- Fits small to large-sized GSDs
Lastly, it is 100% manufactured in the U.S.A., so you can be assured of its quality.
- Lithium Polymer stores less power, thus a 2-hour charge may last only up to one day of training. It is safe to say that it has a shorter battery life span, so you better have a back-up battery.
Country Brook Petz Martingale Heavy Duty Nylon Dog Collar – Best Martingale Collar for German Shepherd – Best Collar For German Shepherd Puppy
- 1 INCH WIDTH | Adjustable from 15 inch - 21 inch neck. Be sure to use our martingale sizing chart...
- NO BUCKLE | Perfect for training, Martingale-style collars give you gentle control over your pet....
- Personalize your pup with rich, fashionable colors and mirror like metal hardware. The classic style...
- Silky soft nylon webbing means your dog will stay comfy. Adjustable so you can have the perfect fit....
- Made in the U.S.A. with nickel plated steel hardware for superior strength; won't break or fray as...
Walking an untrained GSD in the park or anywhere else is a struggle that you are most likely to feel embarrassed, especially if your GSD starts chasing other dogs or slips out of its collar. It’s time to make the right choice. Country Brook Pets Martingale Heavy Duty Nylon Dog Collar can save you from these embarrassing situations. It is made of silky soft nylon fabric that’s gentle and comfy for your dog, yet durable and heavy-duty. Even your GSD puppies will appreciate these features.
Thanks to its two loops, your GSD will finally learn to walk with you outside without pulling. These two loops prevent your GSD from slipping out of the collar while gently tightening without choking. Proven safe for GSD puppies. The collar comes in different sizes ranging from small (11 to 15 inches) to extra large(23 to 31inches). Moreover, all other hardware is made of stainless steel that won’t simply break apart.
What’s fun about this product is that it comes in a wide variety of colors that won’t fade even when wet. This can probably pass as the best color collar for German Shepherd. Plus, it is manufactured in the U.S.A.
- Since it doesn’t have a buckle, slipping the collar on some GSDs may be a challenge. But knowing how intelligent GSDs are, they will get used to it in no time at all.
OSPet Dog Prong Collar – Professional Dog Pinch Training Collar
- ❤[CORRECT TRAINING]: Provide Necessary Training Pressure While Protecting the Airway and Neck...
- ❤[MATERIAL]: High-quality Stainless Steel and Rubber Tips, Prong Collar is Chrome-plated for Added...
- ❤[ADJUSTABLE LENGTH]: Length 23.6 Inches (60 Cm) and Diameter 0.16 Inches (4.5 Mm), Each Spike Can...
- ❤[EASY SLIP-ON AND OFF] : Secure and Comfort Design with Quick Release Buckle Stainless Steel...
- ❤[STRONG AND RELIABLE]:Companet Steady Dog Training Collar Has a Quick Release Snap, You Can...
Do you constantly scream at your GSD whenever it misbehaves and eventually punishing it? This kind of scene can be avoided with OSPet Dog Prong Collar Professional Dog Pinch Training Collar. It is designed according to the anatomy of a dog’s neck. The pressure is well distributed to avoid injuring the trachea and other vital parts which makes it very suitable for training GSDs with tough behavior. By just a pull of the prong collar, your GSD will definitely drop its unruly behavior.
This collar is formed by a link of spikes with prongs that have protective rubber tips. The links can be easily removed and connected for neck size adjustments of up to 24 inches. It also features quick-release snap buckles to smoothly wear and take-off collar. A soft-padded rock climbing rope as leash also comes with this prong collar. Now, that’s value for your money.
- This product is not suitable for dogs with extreme behavioral issues. You may consult your GSD’s vet on what products are best.
Training GSDs are supposed to be easy because they are highly intelligent. GSD Collars are only tools to aid GSD owners in training and correcting GSD behaviors. For training to be successful it needs consistency and patience from the GSD owners.
Some collars have earned negative connotation but technology and development have improved the designs and upgraded their safety features, so you can be assured that if worn and used properly, these collars can lessen your GSD’s stubbornness. But you need to remember to check your GSD’s neck size, and behavior to make a perfect collar match. Follow instruction manuals carefully to avoid injuries. Never leave any collar on your GSD after training.
If you’re looking for the best German Shepherd collar GSD has special needs, throat or respiratory issues, it is best to use a harness to avoid aggravating the situation.
The products featured on this page were last updated on 2021-07-22 /. Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API.