Australian Shepherds are moderate shedders with two shedding seasons. This means that if you want to keep the fluff under control, you have to brush them daily or weekly. Of course, the right brush can make all the difference. Here is your guide to the best brushes on the market:
The Best Slicker Brushes For Aussies
Slicker brushes are your go-to items for Australian Shepherds and what you should rely on most.
Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush
- #1 Cat & Dog Brush - Voted best overall for 2022 by Spruce Pets; trusted by millions of pet owners
- Effective - Reduces shedding, detangles, removes dirt & debris, keeps coat looking shiny and healthy
- Versatile - Great for cats & dogs of all fur types
- Easy to Clean - Simply retract bristles with the push of a button, then wipe away collected fur
- Smart Design - Fine, angled bristles, ergonomic comfort grip, and push-button retraction make it...
Great for Thick Coats
This slicker brush is perfect for your double-coated pooch. The bristles can easily penetrate the first coat and get into the undercoat as well. As a result, you have to resort to using an undercoat rake less often.
It also means that you can brush your dog more efficiently, in a shorter amount of time. So, you may not have to groom your pup as often.
As the end of the bristles are exposed, you have to be careful about how much pressure you use. Too much and you may scratch the skin of your dog and hurt them.
Removes Loose Fur and Dirt
This brush is great for keeping your dog cleaner for longer. It will easily dislodge loose fur as well as any dirt or debris that is stuck in there.
This is important since Australian Shepherds shouldn’t be washed too often. This slicker brush can potentially lengthen the intervals between baths.
As an added bonus, the design of the bristles ensures that it doesn’t get caught in any tangles or matted fur. So, you won’t accidentally hurt your dog in this way.
Easy to Use
The wide brush head and the comfortable handle makes this brush a breeze to use. The brush head is able to cover a greater surface area, allowing you to get the job done faster. The handle makes it more comfortable for you to hold for extended periods.
Simple to Clean
Cleaning out this brush just involves pressing the button. This extends the brush head, allowing you to remove the fur that has collected there. You can then resume your brushing again.
- Great for thick fur
- Removes dirt and fur
- Easy to use
- Simple to clean
- Ends can be sharp
Paw Brothers Slicker Brush
- EXTRA LONG PIN - Stainless steel extra long pins penetrate deep into the coat.
- EXTRA LONG PIN - Stainless steel extra long pins penetrate deep into the coat.
- PROFESSIONAL QUALITY - Flat slickers have rounded corners that will not catch fur.
- COMFORTABLE - Grips are comfortable and non-slip.
- WHY RYAN'S PET SUPPLIES - Established in 1959, we have grown from humble beginnings as a...
Extra Long Pins
This slicker brush pins are extra-long which is great for getting right through the top coat and even reaching the bottom coat. This allows you to remove greater amounts of loose fur at once. It also means that you don’t have to use an undercoat rake as much.
Despite the length of the pins, they are still quite gentle. This makes it less likely that you will accidentally scratch the skin of your dog when using it. Still, you need to be careful.
It should be noted that this design can make it a little tricky to clean out, though. To get rid of all the fur tangled in the brush, you have to use another comb to dislodge it.
Removes Knots and Tangles
If your dog’s fur has a tendency to tangled and knotted, this is the perfect brush. The length of the pins as well as the design and spacing means that it is easy to move through knots and matted fur, gently pulling the fur apart.
The brush has been designed in such a way that the pins won’t get caught in the knots. Not only does this make it easier to use, but it also reduces the risk of you pulling on your dog’s fur.
Easy to Grip
The large grip, complete with a non-slip surface, means that it is easy to hold and use. Unlike some other designs, you don’t have to hold down any buttons or features. This makes it less physically demanding to use.
This is a brush that is going to last you quite a while, even if you use it on a regular basis. It is made from high-quality materials and is a great investment. This is especially true if you have several dogs that need to be brushed daily.
- Long pins
- Removes knots and tangles
- Easy to grip
- Can be tricky to clean
The Best Undercoat Rakes For Australian Shepherds
Undercoat rakes are used to dislodge loose fur from the second coat. These don’t have to be used as often. Here are your top picks:
Pat Your Pet Undercoat Rake
- Dual-Head Design: 2 sides, 2 coats, 1 tool! Use the 9-teeth side of this dog and cat brush for...
- Skin Safe: Pamper your pet - pain-free! The teeth on this dog brush for shedding are rounded to make...
- This deshedding brush is perfect for cats and dogs with thick, long fur - but it's great for coats...
- Easy Grip Handle: Get even the nastiest knots out with ease! Our dog and cat brush for shedding has...
- Comes with a "paw tag" for your keychain or pet collar!
If you are tired of brushing your dog on a daily basis or are fed up with fur being strewn all over your home, this is the tool for you.
The design of this brush head allows it to penetrate to the undercoat easily. In doing so, you are able to remove a significant amount of fur at once. You will be surprised at just how much fluff is removed with just one swipe.
In fact, this is an excellent tool to use right before the warmer months set in. It can help your pup to feel cooler. At the same time, some owners are alarmed by the sheer amount of fur that is removed, so it’s not for the faint of heart.
Don’t want your home littered with grooming brushes? Then, go ahead and invest in this one. The dual head design allows you to de-shed and remove mats and tangles all with one brush.
The side with nine teeth is great for cutting through mats and tangles. These cut through even the thickest of mats with ease, ensuring that you don’t tug on the knots when you are grooming your dog.
Rounded Teeth for Safety
It can be scary to brush your dog with such brushes, particularly if they are already the nervous type. With this brush, however, it isn’t an issue at all. It has rounded teeth that can’t scrape the skin of your dog. As such, you can use a bit more pressure when getting rid of knots.
This brush does help to speed things up. The wider head means that you can brush a greater strip of fur at one time. As a result, the brushing session can be shortened significantly.
- Great for reducing shedding
- Dual capabilities
- Rounded teeth
- Extra-wide surface
- Removes quite a lot of fur
MalsiPree Undercoat Rake
- ✅【Double Sided Head】- MalsiPree 2 in 1 cat brush combine with dematting comb and deshedding...
- ✅【No Scratch, No Pain】-Both sides of teeth are end rounded, gently massage the pet skin...
- ✅【Enjoy Comfortable Brushing】-Soft ergonomic anti-slip grip makes regular combing comfortable...
- ✅【Great for Medium to Large Dogs】- MalsiPree large dog brush designed to work with medium to...
- ✅【No Worry Purchase】For any reason, you or your pets don’t love this brush, let us know...
Long Teeth for Undercoat
The teeth on this grooming brush are perfectly suited for getting all the way to the undercoat of your pooch. It is specifically designed for dogs with double coats, so brushing out your Australian Shepherd will be no issue at all.
At the same time, the ends of the bristles are rounded, ensuring that they don’t cut or scrape your dog’s skin as you use the brush. This will give you the confidence to get a little closer through the undercoat.
While this is great for removing loose fur, the rake has limited ability to get rid of thick and tough mats. So, it is best for everyday use to prevent the matting from occurring in the first place.
Great for Thinning Out Fur
Do you want to thin out your pup’s fur so that they don’t shed so much? Or maybe you want to make it easier for your dog to stay cool. Regardless, this dual head feature comes with a comb design that allows you to remove even more fur.
Large Brush Head
The large brush head has been designed with large breeds in mind. As such, you will have no trouble brushing out your Australian Shepherd quickly. This is a good brush to invest in if you want to cut down on brushing time overall.
This undercoat rake will stand the test of time. It is made from high-quality materials that allow you to use it day in and day out. It is a good option to have around in case you have more than one double-coated dog as well.
- Gets to undercoat
- Reduces shedding
- Large brush head
- Not great for tough matted fur
The Best Shedding Brushes For Aussies
These are the brushes you should use when your Australian Shepherd enters their shedding season. Here are the best options:
FURminator DeShedding Brush
- FOR LARGE DOGS WITH LONG HAIR: Designed especially for dogs that weigh more than 50 pounds.
- REMOVES LOOSE HAIR: Reaches through the topcoat to remove loose undercoat hair without cutting skin...
- FOR LONG HAIR: Stainless steel deShedding edge reaches through topcoat to safely and easily remove...
- FUREJECTOR BUTTON: Push to release hair with ease.
- ERGONOMIC HANDLE: For comfortable, easy grooming.
Don’t let the look of this brush fool you. Despite its short teeth, the brush is able to completely penetrate the top coat and get right down to the undercoat. As such, it can remove a large amount of fur.
This is a well-known and widely used brush. It is unlikely that you will find a de-shedding brush on par with its capabilities.
At the same time, know that this brush should only be used during shedding season and even then, only occasionally. It does remove a considerable amount of fur and if you aren’t careful, your dog can end up with a lot less than you anticipated.
Safe for Dogs
This is also one of the safest dog brushes around. The smaller teeth are effective but aren’t as sharp or spiky as other designs. This makes it less likely to scratch or scrape your dog’s skin. This encourages a more vigorous brushing of your dog as well.
Comfortable to Use
Another reason that this brush is a favorite is due to its ergonomic design. The brush is easy to hold and use. This makes it a good option for double-coated dogs who either have to be brushed often or thoroughly during shedding season.
Last but not least, it is self-cleaning. With a single push of a button, the brush ejects most of the fur, allowing you to pull it out and throw it away. This is especially great during shedding season when the brush captures more fur than usual with every swipe.
- Very effective fur removal
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Shouldn’t use often
Dogi De-shedding Rake
- One of the best dog brushes on the market, It has a double row of stainless steel pins/teeth to...
- Our undercoat Rake dramatically reduces shedding by up to 90% after just 1 short session. This is...
- Our professional grooming brushes can be used on both dogs, cats, rabbits, or equestrian horses that...
- Recommended and used by veterinarians, groomers, and pet professionals. The perfect brush for...
- The innovative design allows air to your pet's skin and stimulates the hair follicles, allowing the...
This brush is said to reduce shedding up to 90 percent during your dog’s shedding season. Even if the success rate isn’t as high, this tool does do a great job of removing excess fur from your pup’s coat
It should be noted that it could make a mess in the process. As the teeth are spaced wide apart, the fur tends to fly everywhere.
Great for Matted Fur
As mentioned, the wide-apart teeth make it great for reducing matting in fur as well. It gently untangles the fur without pulling so that your Australian Shepherd doesn’t experience any distress at all. It is great for fussy pups.
The bristles are soft and gentle. As such, it is less likely to scratch the surface of the skin. Nevertheless, it does a great job of getting right down to the double coat.
Easy to Use
With a good grip and a great brush head, this brush is easy to use. It requires no learning curve at all.
- Reduces shedding
- Prevents matting
- Easy to use
- Creates a bit of a mess
This is our roundup of the ultimate brushes for your Australian Shepherd. Follow this guide and you will have no trouble finding the perfect brush for you and your pooch. Make sure to stock up one for each season!
Things To Know When Buying A Brush For Aussies
Here are some frequently asked questions about slicker brushes:
What Kind of Brush is Best for an Australian Shepherd?
The most common brush for Australian Shepherds is a slicker brush. However, it is a good idea to use an undercoat rake and even a de-shedding brush every now and then, especially during their shedding seasons.
Is a FURminator Bad for Australian Shepherds?
No, FURminators aren’t bad for your dog. In fact, they make a great de-shedding tool. It is important to avoid using this brush too often, though, and limit it to occasional use or use during shedding season.
Can You Brush an Australian Shepherd Too Much?
While you can brush your Australian Shepherd once a week, brushing them every day is a better option to keep the fur out of your house.
Although you can’t brush your dog too much, you could brush them too hard. So, make sure to be gentle when grooming them.
The products featured on this page were last updated on 2023-01-27 /. Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API.